



I just wanted to give honor to those of my British heritage, their horsey teeth.......and also to my husband. (For the members of the Ricks family who may read further, I am the "emotional one".....the Marianne of the group......so, just know that it's going to get sappy. It's o.k., Ricks's. Some people even hug their family members and have a good cry afterward. So, suck it up and read further, you unfeeling hardened lot!!!! :)
You may ask what the connection is between the Britons, the aforementioned teeth, and Chad.
Actually, I just spent a great evening with my mum and sis watching (sorry......brace yourself for it) the BBC adaptation of Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I never tire of the story. I never tire of the costumes and the plot, and certainly, I never tire of the jagged smiles. I'm not sure I can articulate what it is that captivates me about Austen's work or the subsequent BBC films. I hate to be such a cliche, but I can't deny what I like. And I like a sappy period/costume drama....consequences be what they may. I thnk it's just that Jane Austen truly understood what love was and what love wasn't, what joy was, and what joy wasn't, and what humor was and wasn't. I think she could still be one of today's finest writers.
This was a good night for our little impromptu gathering because Chad is in Toronto (eh, hoser?) checking out a machine for his steel company. It's got a hefty price tag, but if it means he won't have to spend so much time building, then I think it's money well spent. You can't put a price tag on health or on time.....and with the aches and pains he's had over the last five years or so, I am all for this purchase. He has sacrificed a lot. He's very unselfish.
So, anyway, after I watched the show, I noticed that Chad left his toothbrush here. I got this little sinking feeling.....I think I was.......sad. So......I'm a little grossed out that he will be without dental hygeine equipment for a night at least, but mostly, I'm just missing him. I'm out of sync when he's not around. Anyway, I got thinking about how fortunate I have been to know Chad and even better, to love him and share life with him.
I feel like I just land on my feet sometimes and I keep wondering why I am so fortunate. I really am just kind of lucky. Not in the Vegas sense of the word.....but in life. (And, just in case my brothers read this and haven't tuned out yet for fear of serious nausea, I won our family final four bracket and I don't even really support an entire portion of news broadcasts being dedicated to sports alone. There again, I just land on my feet). So, I don't know if or when my luck will end, but I am the very grateful recipient of a blessed life. I live in fear that it could end sometime.
So, here's to my amazing husband, Chad who has the gentle integrity of Edward Ferrars, the playful charm of Willoughby, and the constancy and endurance of Col. Brandon. (Go hurl now, Jake and Jeff..........). I love you Chad. You're a man's man, a lady's man (that's singular), and a man about town:) I don't know what I did to convince you it was a good idea to stick with this scatterbrained yocal from American Fark, but you did and you do......and I love you for it:)
P.S.......The Willoughby pictured above is seriously grossing me out. He'd definitely be one to steer clear of, I think. Perhaps a bit prowlish.....like the 20 year-old who lurks in the Jr. High parking lot. He is not the boyishly charming Willoughby that I refer to in my post.

I'm so sad that I didn't get to watch Sense and Sensibility with you guys. At one point in the show, Brian looked at me and started laughing. Then he made fun of the goofy smile I had on my face for the entire show. Only true romantics could understand the wonderful, amazing writer that Jane Austen was (and would be today).
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed your tribute to your husband. He does have only the good characteristics of the Austen men, and I thoroughly enjoyed how you tied him to Edward, Brandon, and Willoughby! I have to say, I enjoyed this version more than the "Hollywood" version, and I will be buying it soon!
so sorry Chad was gone this weekend. paul was as well. at least you have that tropical adventure to look forward to, eh?
ReplyDeleteShelley I just borrowed Amy's A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. I am really excited to watch it. I Love this post from you. You are such a positive and creative person.
ReplyDeleteCute post! I enjoyed sneer free Sense & Sensibility watching tonight too (and Daniel Deronda!) It will be nice to have the men back home again even though it was a only short trip.
ReplyDeleteNatalie, there's a great DVD package on amazon. I want this one too!
If we hurry, we can get this in time for our "running" trip.....
ReplyDeleteYou kill me! So funny. I was a bit nauseous reading that, but that could just be little Linda's (baby) circus going on in my innards.
ReplyDelete