Friday, April 25, 2008

Enough about me; let's talk about me!!!!



So, you might ask, what do the celebrities (a term used loosely here) pictured above have in common? Apparently, more than we knew! Chad and I were bored one night on our Vegas trip and bought tickets to the Wayne Brady show at the Venetian. We were expecting the usual improv, mixed with musical showbiz and razzle dazzle. We went into it half-mocking, half-expecting to laugh. But we got oh so much more!
I don't drink...and I still laughed. It could have been the Irish lady next to me who kept cracking up, but I don't know, I was in the mood to laugh and was having a decent time. So was Chad; despite his armrest-sharing neighbor who didn't even crack a smile the whole time.
Just as Wayne Brady was wrapping up the night with a musical medley featuring the hits of James Brown, he says, "We have a special treat tonight. One of my friends, Paige Davis is in the audience! Paige, stand up for us. I need you to help me count it down." (for those of you who don't speak "James Brown," that's the "1234" part of his songs). (For those of you who don't speak "TLC day-time television," Paige Davis is the on again, off again hostess of Trading Spaces).
He hands Paige the mic. (I'm thinking, don't let her talk, just let her count you down). Too late! "Oh, Wayne, you really shouldn't have! This is embarrassing." (false modesty just shining off her veneers like cheap rhinestones). And then, the bomb drops as Paige proclaims, "We actually are lucky enough tonight to have someone else in the audience! It's Benji and Lacey from "So You Think You Can Dance!" WTC? (What the crap...thats the red-neck Mormon version of the other phrase.....).
So, here are Benji and Lacey, in their tickety-tac outfits (apparently that "Strictly Ballroom" sense of costume transfers to their "street clothing," as we dancers like to call it). They are coaxed onstage by Wayne and spin a bit, then head off-stage. Kind of an awkward pause occurs, then Wayne just continues with his James Brown bit.....with a bit of Paige Davis "1234" a la mode! Apparently, b-list celebs love other b-list celebs and they have a secret club we know nothing about; not that we want to know anything about it, right?
So, you know, Chad and I may behave more like 80 yr olds than tri-decadians (is that a word, Jake? decadarians?) when we go to Vegas, but I like to think we were rewarded for our geriatric behavior!
Good night! I run 10 miles tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. So cool! We were total Benji fans! (I know laugh at us!!) And Paige was fired from Trading Spaces and then they recently hired her back on when they got new producers or something. I saw her on Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous. I'm totally a Benji and Lacey fan too! Sounds like you had a fun adventure in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe not as fun as Hawaii though.

    I had 10 this week too-ready for 13?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good time, a little tamer than The Raconteurs but you probably didn't have to stand the entire time amongst sweaty people who were dancing with their eyes closed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The minute the Schwimmer's came on stage I would have been out of there. Or maybe the minute Wayne Brady came on stage...hmmmmm. B-list? Really? I'd say more like C or D. Good laughs Shell! Glad your 10 went well; can't wait to be your personal cheerleader this weekend. "Pain is temporary; pride is forever!"

    ReplyDelete