
Well, we have enjoyed quite a few fun moments in the past month. I love September. It's never boring. It's the change of light and color, along with the crisp nights, and fantastic food that I always find irresistible. I reflect more often upon my kids and how they are changing.

My is well into the school year, with a brand new teacher, Mr. Thomas. She has also made a few new friends, which is always good when you go to a different (but still public :) school than most of the kids in the hood. Emma is one of these friends. She and My like to spend their free time drawing "fuzzies" for their fuzzy character collection. I think they look like Mr. Men. I wonder where they are getting the free time to draw that many fuzzies for each other. Recess? Under the desk during boring lessons? I don't know. I am just happy she is still young enough to draw fuzzies.
She's still doing piano and I think she really needs to stick with music. (hates to practice, just wants to make her own music). She's also dancing. (Hates the ballet. It makes her muscles "feel funny." But, no surprise here, LOVES modern, where she gets to make her own dances). So yes, she's our free spirit. I think I need to find her a good art class, too. Any suggestions are welcome. We also appreciate how responsible, hilarious, and sensitive My is. She's a great kid.


Manny is enjoying another year of preschool. He is finally seeing the educational light and now LOVES school. Last year, he hated all the sing-song and the all-important preschool antics his teachers would do. (He would fold his arms and scowl during song time, etc., which made his teachers laugh). This year, he loves it all, and his teachers keep exclaiming, with surprise, that he's doing "so well" in school. (I think "so well" is sort of code for: "not hell this year.")

I am finding, too, that he is just as enthusiastic about his world and building things. The world is his oyster, I guess. He's such a joy to have around. He made a boyd's mest the other day. (Bird's nest). He can also write his name, which for a southpaw, has been challenging. He enjoys many pre-emergent literacy activities, like mailing letters, writing notes, and drawing stories. I love seeing him grow; I hate it at the same time. And, Chad is so proud of Manny's rugby-esque soccer style, with his first few games being quite entertaining. His nickname could be Bull Dog. He's not afraid to throw an elbow, he dives into every kick, and he relishes getting into the huddle to turn the ball around for his team.

Noly Goat gets funnier every day and enjoys being funny for us. He can say quite a few words, but his favorites are: NO!, GO!, beezzzz, cheeeeese, two, and cahhhr (car). Neither the "no" nor the "go" are surprises to me, since, "no-go!" could easily be his response to my many demands. (ie: sit down on the bar stool instead of standing, lay down when I'm changing your diaper, and, for Pete's sake, don't put your hands in the diaper, and .....give me the Sharpie). He is quite "cheesy" and loves "bees", so those don't surprise me. And he is fast approaching the terrible "twos", so, I'm not shocked that's the only number he likes to say when we count. As for "car", well, we all knew he would soon be into those. Genes.
He had his first week of nursery, which he loved, and we were more than glad to send him. The wrestle-mania that church had become was not so fun. But you know what's even more "not fun?" Sitting quietly and listening to lessons without any kid-ertainment. :) UGH!

I am realizing that I only have possibly 16 to 18 autumns with each child before they no longer want to spend them with me. Here's to making this one count.

Shelley, it's so fun (and entertaining) to read your blog. I found it through Jenny's, she found mine randomly. You crack me up. Your kids are so, so cute. They are a perfect mix of you two.
ReplyDeleteI remember the first Sunday my baby went to nursery. I thought to myself, "Oh well. Guess I have to listen and stay in here the whole time. No sneaking off into the hall and chatting with other parents wrestling their kids." My lap felt so empty.
I love that your daughter has gone the more "interpretive dance" style. :)
I loved Chicago as much as you. I agree it is better than NY in a lot of ways.
I love your kids, and we definitely love being closer to you guys! It's fun to watch cousins grow and change together!
ReplyDeleteShell- I love reading your blog. You are so cute and so are your kids. I love all their blonde hair-so fun. Thanks for dampening my spirits by bringing it to my attention that the days are passing so quickly with our kids :). I guess we really do need to take advantage of these days.
ReplyDeleteLove these kiddos!! Glad My had a great birthday. Lucy now joins me and My as the "gals of September". (The BEST time of year for a birthday if you aks [not a typo...I really mean aks] me.)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about your cute kids. I need to be more observant (however that is spelled?) with my own kids. You are a great mom and your kids are way too cute!!
ReplyDelete