Monday, November 3, 2008

Howl-oween!!!

I have to preface this post by saying that I am, admittedly, a Halloween scrooge. Nay-sayer. Curmudgeon. Kill-joy. What exactly is the point of the holiday? What exactly are we celebrating? Which commercial institution was the modern Halloween's brainchild?

What it boils down to is loss of dignity in the pursuit of candy. And, if you attend any Halloween function at your child's school, it also boils down to HOWLING HERDS of HUSTLING parents and children.

I will admit that one's cauldron of Halloween experiences could possibly simmer down to humor and fun, as well. Halloween could possibly be fun. Admittedly, we, the Radmall Family, did have a great time last Friday, and I do have the pictures to prove it. Pretty minimal howling considering what we were able to achieve in 6 hours' time.

I am already looking back on the experience, thankful that we visited almost all of the kids' great-grandparents and both sets of grandparents' homes on Halloween. I think the grandmas enjoyed it. We certainly did.

I already treasure the memory of the simple act of trick-or-treating with just my two older kids, on a peaceful, slightly sprinkly night. It was magical to ascend the steps whilst smelling that delightfully smoky burning pumpkin smell, and visiting with neighbors and friends I have grown to really love, while my kids collected treats. I am so glad there was no trunk or treat at my church this year. I think trick or treating is much better. My kids really enjoyed the journey, as much as the actually getting.

So, here's to my least favorite holiday. I guess it turned out pretty great, in spite of itself!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Radmalls! Your family is way adorable! Love all the halloween pictures. Looks like you had such a blast. Thanks for inviting me into your blog. I can't wait until I'm an official part of the family!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh come on! Trunk-or-treating is the way to go! You're done with the entire annoying experience in 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Kids are adorable! Jack looked so cute as Spidey. I agree with Natalie at this point in life. I couldn't get Ryder to knock on a door even though he knew candy was waiting behind it. He would much rather going room to room and quietly saying"trick or treat" under his breath

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Ricks girls and your anti- Halloweeness! Yet you all still have adorable costumes for your kids and manage to make it through the day. Your kids look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the slide show.... and I would have to agree with your thoughts of Halloween (although, I so love the Halloween Tai Pan decorations best of all). We purposely took our kids to 10 houses so they would have ONLY 10 pieces of candy. I prevented the fight. I can forsee the future at times like this. They didn't know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And if you choose a on line casino bonus no deposit or free spins at one of many well-liked NetEnt casinos, you do not take any 우리카지노 threat in any respect

    ReplyDelete