Saturday, February 13, 2010

Searching for Vacations to Kona on the computer with mom is boring.

I may be the only one reading this blog nowadays.

Alas, diligent blogging is not my forte. Neither is diligent housecleaning or laundering. What am I diligently doing these days? I am diligently nagging/teaching my children to do their own cleaning and laundering, and to be responsible for their studies, gospel habits, and so forth. The hope is that one day, they will be self sufficient. (hah!) And, I am devoting much energy to running, biking and treating my 3 little guinea pigs to whatever mom made for dinner.

Unfortunately, some people have other ideas about what their mom diligently does. And their ideas may have some merit.

Check out what Maya has to say about her mom's latest hobby via her latest "Radmall Rocking Blog" entry:

"Searching for Vacations to Kona on the computer with mom is boring.
I was so tired. I waited and waited and waited and did I mention waited? I can not believe she said "I will be done soon." in that calm mother-like voice because she never GOT done. I don't see why it is such a big deal. She could just Go On Delta And Get It Done already.




It is tough to be a 9 year old sometimes. I know most of you that read this were kids once. Or are still kids. Don't worry about troubles..... O.K. Fine. Worry about things. Just the big things. not like not getting to go to Wendy's or not getting gum at the check-stand at Target when U really,really,really want that orange-flavored-gum. I do not do these things (They are just examples) O.K. Maybe I do the gum-thing. But don't tell anyone O.K.? Maya. "

Indeed, Maya, don't sweat the small stuff. Your mom may be delusional and believe she can travel places on the cheap. Navigating Delta's Skymiles Award Flight system takes about as long as a flight to Hawaii would! At least your mom can't afford the trips, or you'd be sweating the big stuff, like why that Sting Ray is so much more intimidating through the lense of your snorkel mask!

For the record, I find searching for vacations almost as fun as actually taking them, only slightly less fun thatn reading what my kids think of my searching, and definitely more fun than laundry or looking out the window into the gray light of another dull February. It can't be helped.



Ah, wanderlust.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Shell-Maya cracks me up as much as you do! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya's a witty little writer already! And I'm glad other moms spend/waste time online dreaming like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Shelley. How dare you take any time for yourself on the computer (which you payed for). I think it's time to start using the "when I was a kid" talks with Maya. You know. The conversation where you inform her that we didn't have a computer, IPod, DVD player etc., and we still managed to survive and find things to occupy our time. I had this very conversation with Andrew a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Nat. Like I said the other night, we played hide and seek under a sleeping bag for hours and loved it! Do you remember the acrobatic competitions? The reenactment of Cinderella (the only show we owned). My kids have too many toys and stuff and they're both under 4! Keep dreaming, I say, and like Cinderella says, "the dreams that you wish will come true!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has Maya always been a thirty year old woman? I am not very diligent about writing either. It's okay. We have more important things to do. Things like... Oh... I don't know... Reality T.V.?

    ReplyDelete