Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jack's Tab


Because of recent events in the Radmall home, (uncommissioned wall mural), my thoughts have turned to the differences between raising my son and my daughter.



We've all heard the phrase, "Girls are more expensive to raise than boys." The wise parent laments money paid on behalf of daughter to the dance studio, mall, salon, the violin teacher. They recount how their sons' soccer league was at least one half cheaper, and school shopping for their sons was 1/3 the cost..........


Did they forget their sons' toddlerhood/preschool years? Jack's tab looks like this:


  • Missing computer keyboard pieces: $ 200.00 (to repair) or $1500.00 to buy new laptop


  • Broken window panes: $ 300.00 (granted, he had an older, wiser accomplice, but still)!


  • Broken VCR $100.00 (o.k...... nobody uses vcr's anymore; still have to buy a DVD-R)


  • Storage hook torn from garage drywall $12.00 (George of the Jungle-esque lapse in judgement........pick a sturdier branch next time, kid)!


  • Broken television: $2600.00 to replace, possibly $600.00 to repair


  • Broken cabinet panels: $?.......Well, if time is money, then Chad has lost one full day's pay in countless repairs and trips to the Home Depot.

The list goes on.......I can only imagine what will happen to the family car when Jack is 14. I blame it on Jack's genetic code......the secret code his father passed on to him, and his father's father passed to his grandfather........ Jack is just so innately hands-on. Jack wants to see, feel, and taste how an object works, then he wants to break it and make it work again. Usually, when his mom is drying her hair.


Just today, Jack found the wrench and took off his training wheels. It was like watching his dad working in the garage. He knew to turn the bike upside down for stability. Then, he played with the pedal to see how the chain worked. Then he got to the training wheel removal. It was swift, efficient, and definitely better than I would have done. One minute, tops.


I found myself thinking, "They have the same hands." I have always loved Chad's tough, strong hands, and his ability to whisper to machines. Chad refers to it proudly as his "God-given talent." Why are those same hands (on his son) such a challenge? One day, Jack's will be just as calloused and worked......and I will look back on these years and smile. In fact, just writing this makes me smile. Love these boys!

6 comments:

  1. Yep, he's definitely been quite an expensive child, but man, he's adorable! We all know he's worth every broken item in your home! WE LOVE JACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that definitely puts it in perspective-you really should keep a lifelong running total. The mental image of the training wheel incident is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I love the way you discribed his hands. I love those days when I realize how much my boys are like their father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny and sweet! You describe things so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about Jack...what a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH YOU ARE HILARIOUS!! The whole thing makes me laugh because I'm in the exact same situation over here!!

    ReplyDelete