Lately, I've been getting my kids to do things by using rhyming words to remind them of fogotten jobs. It goes something like this:
"Jack, did you forget to do something?"
Jack gives the 'am I in trouble' look, then says, "I don't think so. Do you think so?"
I think, "Yeah, the same thing you forget 90 percent of the time."
But I say, "It rhymes with 'smear your face.'" I say this with a hopefully sugary enough tone to hide my irritable demeanor.
"Oh!" he says. "Huh he huh......clear my place!" And away his curly blond self goes to do the job, still smiling. He thinks I'm funny. I think I am clever. It is a win-win situation.
I want to choose my battles, and this tactic has served me well, although, today I wonder whether I need to retire it.
I guess I am growing more complacent about the joys of motherhood, or maybe I've just been in the trenches for too long without a breath of fresh air, because I can tell that lately, I'm sort of carrying things a bit too far, and am becoming far too Seuss-ly for my own good. I've always teased my kids by singing rhyming nonsense while we do stuff. I like to get them going.
Today, I asked Maya what cd she was going to listen to at bedtime. She opted for an old classic from her preschool days. Upon hearing the first strains of "Feed the Birds," I said, "Oh! This one rhymes with Harry Floppins."
Right after I said it, of course, I decided that at worst, my word choice was a possible Freudian slip, and at best, was a bit off-color.
Luckily, Maya and I share a similar sense of humor.
"Practically perfect in ev-er-y wayy," she grunted. The voice she used WAS practically perfect. I imagine Harry Floppins might sound just like she did. (Picture a Jersey accent coupled with a low, nasal, gaseous quality used mostly by actors portraying children's television villains). Oscar the Grouch meets Joe Pesci's famous, yet nameless? Home-Alone character.

I can only imagine the Harry Floppins sketches we can produce one day. Move over, Sherry Bobbins.

On a totally unrelated note, and for documentary purposes only, it is now 9:30 p.m. Nolan and Curious George are still wrestling and playing in his crib, and bless his heart, he's trying to sing the Indiana Jones theme song.
I need to set up a hidden camera investigation, because, clearly, I am missing something really great in there between the tucking-in and the waking up.

I'd opt for Larry Shoppins next time. I'm thinking we get the rhyming/silly names gene from George. I can't watch a Jazz game with Paul without some funny nick name from my childhood coming out of the woodworks (i.e. Fetus Face, Ston Jockton, the spazz).
ReplyDeleteOh no. why? Whyyyyyy?
ReplyDeleteOkay, one of my favorite Friends episodes is when Ross and Rachel hire a male nanny whom Ross calls Gary Poppins. Of course we are huge fans of the real deal!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean...I tell Kate to "bean zer poom" all the time (code: clean her room). She just looks at me as though she has no idea what I'm talking about, but I know she's faking.
ReplyDeleteThat's funny! You are such a good mom! I do a similar thing so much that Ryder does now too. Just yesterday he called me a Hossy Bossy! I don't like either word Hossy? or Bossy? But it worked... He got away with calling me Bossy and I thought it was funny instead of getting mad.
ReplyDeleteI love ya Shell!
ReplyDeleteOh how I love your blog posts!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun, creative mom you are! If only I were!
ReplyDeleteHahaha, Lindsay your comment made me think of "Tooth Rodd!" (AKA News anchor Ruth Todd, another of dad's winners!)
ReplyDeleteI love to rhyme. I rhyme all the time. I'll have to keep your cute method in mind for when Maggie is old enough to respond to commands. Right now I just seem to be confusing her... :)
ReplyDeleteHope all is well there.
And I love your plans for a hidden camera investigation.
ReplyDelete